“I want to ensure that businesses in Ward 4 have a chance to be vibrant and flourish. I am committed to seeing our business corridors as hubs for technology, innovation, and economic stability.”
Ward 4 is truly the next frontier for business development in the District of Columbia. I am committed to working with you to develop a sound and sustainable strategy that is collaborative and reflects the interest of long term residents, new residents, business owners, and the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED). My goal is inclusionary, community led development that provides access to all who wish to participate, transparency, and sharing opportunities with small and large Ward 4 businesses. With the upcoming transfer of land at Walter Reed to the District Government, the redevelopment of Kennedy Street via small area plans, the new construction and business expansion in Takoma DC, and Grand Opening of Walmart at Fort Totten, we are at an historic crossroads. All of these initiatives will enhance the services to residents and business owners, create jobs, and recapture income that has been lost for many years to adjacent communities and jurisdictions and increase the tax base of Ward 4. Specific areas of involvement include:
- Led business corridor “walk-thru’s” visiting over 150 businesses with Mayor Bowser’s office on Kennedy Street, 3rd Street, Takoma DC (4th and Carroll Streets), Georgia Avenue, and Lamond / Riggs to meet business owners and understand their needs.
- Introduced legislation to form the Kennedy Street Development Commission to guide development and ensure community participation in the revitalization of the area.
- Met with key District economic development and business services agencies including the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED), Great Streets, Office of Planning, Chamber of Commerce, the Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD), DC Partnership, and Destination DC.
- Participated in community meetings, and gave support for, the revitalization and redevelopment of Walter Reed and Georgia Eastern.
- Attended ribbon cuttings for Juniper Courts Affordable Housing, the Fort Totten Walmart, small businesses in Takoma (DC), and multiple other locations throughout the Ward.