“Allowing our most treasured residents to ability to choose their destiny and remain at home as long as they see fit.”
Since his election, Councilmember Todd has remained steadfast in helping the District’s seniors—both legislatively and in the community to serve the second largest number of senior constituents in the District.. Councilmember Todd has visited senior facilities, participated in senior-focused events, and met with countless senior citizens. As a part of his on-going initiative to help the District’s elderly age-in-place, Councilmember Todd and his community outreach team have visited Hattie Holmes Senior Wellness Center and the Fort Stevens Recreation Center to speak directly with seniors about what can be done to help them remain active in their communities. Specific areas of involvement include:
- Introduced legislation for the UDC Elder Law Project Establishment Amendment Act specifically to assist, protect, and assist seniors in legal matters.
- Co-introduced Caregiver Advise Record and Enable Act of 2015 and the Financial Exploitation of Vulnerable Adults Amendment Act of 2015.
- Visited every senior center in Ward 4 as well as countless events sponsored by, or for, seniors.
- Took part in the DC Aging Task Force with members of the Mayor’s office and policy leaders.
- Met with groups such as the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Verizon, Comcast and the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO) to discuss initiatives to help improve the lives of seniors in the Ward and District.